Programmatic Interview Questions
I have listed the most commonly used questions asked in a Programmatic Advertising interview. These questions have been compiled from different sources including candidates appearing for interviews.
Hope it helps to give you an idea about the questions you should expect:
|1||What is a click macro?|
|2||What is brand safety? How does it work?|
|3||How do you implement pixels?|
|4||How do you know if the pixel is firing in the page?|
|5||Stake Holders in programmatic Advertising?|
|6||Why DV360 over Google Ads?|
|7||What is programmatic advertising?|
|8||What tools can you use to test a tag?|
|9||How to take screenshot of creatives uploaded to dv360?|
|10||What creative format will you suggest for an Awareness campaign?|
|11||What if the 3rd party tags don’t have macros in it? Will DBM count an impression?|
|12||What creative and formats are available in DV360?|
|13||Common Targeting capabilities in DV360?|
|14||If I am using two audiences segments in my campaign, what one will I be billed for?|
|15||What is GDPR?|
|16||What is ads.txt|
|17||How does CM360 charge clients?|
|18||What is difference between Ad Network and Ad Exchange?|
|19||What is a DMP?|
|20||What are MMPs, how do they work, What are they used for? Name some MMPs|
|21||What is a CDP?|
|22||Difference between affinity and in-market audiences?|
|23||What is targeting expansion?|
|24||What is MOAT and DoubleVerify? What are verification vendors? What do they do?|
|25||Reasons for Less CTR?|
|26||What are UTM parameters? Why are they used?|
|27||Reasons for High Bounce Rate?|
|28||What are PG Deals?|
|29||The line item is not serving|
|30||How will you setup a campaign structure|
|31||What all formulas do you use when comparing discrepancy reports from 3rd party|
|32||How would you approach the client to use PMP deals, or RTB in layman’s term?|
|33||Why impression discrepancies occur?|
|34||How does cachebuster macro work?|
|35||What is cachebuster macro isn’t implemented?|
|36||If an ad isn’t displaying as intended, do you create test page to preview?|
|37||What is an Active View and how does it work?|
|38||What are the prerequisites of setting up a YouTube campaign in DBM?|
|39||Can we traffic interstitial Ads in DBM?|
|40||What creatives will you suggest if it is a consideration campaign|
|41||Which audiences will you prefer for fashion: Google audience or 3rd party? And why?|
|42||How does the Programmatic Advertising/Advertisement Ecosystem look like?|
|43||What is native advertising?|
|44||What is a cookie?|
The below are the additional theoretical questions that are asked as well:
- What is programmatic advertising?
- What are the different types of programmatic advertising?
- How does programmatic advertising work?
- What are the advantages of programmatic advertising?
- How does programmatic advertising differ from traditional advertising?
- What are the challenges of programmatic advertising?
- What are the key metrics used in programmatic advertising?
- How does programmatic advertising help improve targeting and reach?
- What is real-time bidding in programmatic advertising?
- What are the key trends in programmatic advertising?
- What are the different types of programmatic ad exchanges?
- How does programmatic advertising fit into the overall digital marketing strategy?
- What are the key differences between open and closed programmatic ad exchanges?
- What are the different types of programmatic ad formats?
- What are the different types of programmatic ad inventory?
- What are the key players in the programmatic advertising ecosystem?
- What are the different types of programmatic ad buying methods?
- What are the key factors to consider when choosing a programmatic ad platform?
- What are the different programmatic ad buying models?
- What are the key challenges of programmatic ad fraud?
- What are the key differences between in-house and agency programmatic ad buying?
- What are the key considerations for programmatic ad placement and optimization?
- What are the key challenges of viewability in programmatic advertising?
- What are the key differences between first-party and third-party data in programmatic advertising?
- What are the key considerations for programmatic ad targeting and segmentation?
- What are the key differences between private and public programmatic ad marketplaces?
- What are the key challenges of programmatic ad transparency and visibility?
- What are the key considerations for programmatic ad budget allocation and bidding strategy?
- What are the key differences between direct and indirect programmatic ad buying?
- What are the key challenges of programmatic ad latency and performance?
- What are the key considerations for programmatic ad creative and messaging?
- What are the key differences between managed service and self-service programmatic ad platforms?
- What are the key challenges of programmatic ad measurement and attribution?
- What are the key considerations for programmatic ad quality and brand safety?
- What are the key differences between server-side and client-side programmatic ad buying?
Apart from the above questions, the interviewer might ask you basics of programmatic advertising to understand your fundamental knowledge like what is the difference between an Ad Exchange and Ad Network? How did the ecosystem evolve and so on
I would recommend to watch my video Programmatic Advertising explained to have a solid understanding of the Programmatic Advertising ecosystem and the evolution. This video will help you to get familiar with the fundamentals of Programmatic Advertising and Display Advertising
Programmatic questions and Answers:
In this video, I will try to answer all the above questions and explain them one by one. All these questions can’t be answered in one video, so I have created a playlist of video on YouTube which you can watch
Links to more videos on Programatic Advertising:
If you still got time, I would highly recommend to go through the below videos which cover everything about Programmatic Advertising. They cover most important DSPs, DMPs, Ad Server and gives you a broader perspective about the Programmatic Advertising ecosystem and you should be able to answer most of the technical questions asked
- DV360 – Step by Step guide
- CM360 – Step by Step Guide
- DMP and Step by Step guide of Oracle BlueKai
- Difference between CM360 and DV360
Also, put some efforts to work on your resume. Sometimes being technically strong doesn’t secure a job but you also need a good representation of your skills and who you are – Your resume
- Here is a video on 9 tips to write a resume which gets shortlisted specifically for Digital Marketing professionals
uDemy courses which might help you:
The below is a list of my uDemy courses which are Highest Rated and Best Sellers if you want to learn further and make a solid career within this space
Best of luck!